Saturday, August 6, 2011

Akunin (Villain) [review]

Akunin or Villain is a perfect movie for youngsters especially girls who think the world is a safe place. Because let's face it, there's not one place on Earth is safe. Young girls should watch this to kick some sense into themselves, for their own good. It tells the story of Yuichi (Satoshi Tsumabuki) who is a quiet, soft-spoken guy, who practically drives the old folks in his village to the hospital, someone you wouldn't think of being dangerous at all. Of course, there's this misconception of the outlook or appearance that the public has on youngsters, he has blonde hair and drives a (not a sports car) but close. *I like his car by the way*

He meets a girl, Yoshino (Mistushima Hikari), in her twenties, who ventures into the city after getting a job as insurance agent. She's just like every other girl, upon finding jobs in the city, moves there and begins living the wild lifestyle. Well, not wild, per se, just carefree? She meets Yuichi on the dating site, goes out couple of times, and at the same time, goes out with another young spoilt rich kid too. You can say that what happened to her at the end was her own fault. There's no doubt in that really. Girls should know how to take care of themselves, especially in the city where it's filled with all kinds of people.

Photobucket

So as to not spoil the movie plot, I shall stop revealing things. The story itself is typical, I'd say, a cliche, a bit.

Photobucket
Before her deadly fate

Thoughts:
The movie's again, pretty lengthy, at 2 hrs plus. I know I've always complained about this on most Japanese movies. Maybe I should just accept the fact that that is their style. So let's talk about acting. Satoshi is convincing in his role, he got me fooled once. I hate to say this but there's no likeable character at all in this movie, everyone has their flaw. And I find it hard to empathize with them. So to say that I enjoyed this film, would be a lie. I just felt kinda frustrated with some of the characters that I wanted to punch them in the face at times. I guess the only one I felt sorry for the most was the victim's father. Again, he was the actor in Soredemo Ikite Yuku (now showing), whose daughter was killed. Talk about coincidence.

All in all, the characters, especially the main and supporting were meant to be these pathetic ones living a mundane life and that somehow drove them into a corner. The actions that followed were kinda dumb too, at times. Which is why I couldn't understand the rational behind the things they do. As a conclusion, I'm giving this a 6.5/10. Sorry, Satoshi's character wasn't enough to make me feel his pain.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...